Youtube Not Working

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 1 month ago
I have been using Screen Accountability for several months now and added the beta filtering service about a month ago and have had problems with YouTube not working. The problem has been intermittent but sometimes it persists for several days. YouTube videos embedded in websites don't display or load. The actual website gives me a DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG error in Chrome. In Edge the error is 

INET_E_RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND. Not sure what to do about this or if it's a bug in the Screen Accountability or filtering program. Thanks for the help.

 
Photo of Tim

Tim

  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 1 month ago

  • 1
Photo of Robert B

Robert B, Official Rep

  • 412 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Tim,

Thanks for reaching out! Is the problem occurring on a computer, a mobile device, or both?

My gut says that you're seeing this issue on a Windows device. If so, I'd ask a few more questions about how it's set up (is there an additional filter? does it have an antivirus program? etc) and go from there.

If you'd like immediate assistance, please contact our team via live chat or phone ((877.479.1119). Customer Support is available about 16 hours/day and any member of the team will be glad to take a closer look at the situation.

Thanks again,

Robert
Photo of Tim

Tim

  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I am encountering the problem on Windows devices, both on my home laptop and my work computer. Both are running Windows 10. My laptop runs Norton but my work computer just uses Windows Defender I believe. My Samsung Galaxy phone does not have this issue.
Photo of Robert B

Robert B, Official Rep

  • 412 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Thanks for the quick reply! This sounds like something we've seen recently. While the filter is supposed to lock in the DNS settings to CleanBrowsing DNS, it's possible that a router or an ISP is flipping those settings. We have a few tests we can run to figure that out.

If you're a DIY-er, I've got a suggestion:

  1. Uninstall Covenant Eyes, try one of those websites and see how the embedded YouTube videos work. 
  2. If you still get the error, then we can eliminate CE as the cause of the issue.
  3. If you still get the error, Google the error code and see what you learn. One article I read about the second error code had several suggestions; the simplest one was a DNS flush.
  4. If you don't get the error, then (just to be thorough) run a free scanner (like Malwarebytes) and reinstall Covenant Eyes version 8.1.2 and call Customer Support. They will run those tests I alluded to earlier and figure things out.
Robert
(Edited)
Photo of Tim

Tim

  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I just uninstalled CE and Youtube is working. So I downloaded the latest version of the beta 8.1.3. I was still having the problem although now Youtube works but Gmail does not. I tried a DNS flush and the problem persists. I also just tried an ip release/renew as suggested by Google for the DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG error.
Photo of Robert B

Robert B, Official Rep

  • 412 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Tim,

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you saw some progress, even though the Gmail thing is odd.

For additional troubleshooting you should contact the Customer Support team. They can run a few test and try to get this fully resolved.

You can call 877.479.1119 or log into your account and look for the blue chat bubble in the lower right-hand corner of the screen. Either way, any member of the team will be glad to help out.

Robert